Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Speech Therapy




Dearest Joshua David and Grace Elizabeth~

Whew!  I am tired this morning!  These 3am feedings are becoming a habit with Grace.  :-P  I try to go back to bed right after, but sometimes I just can't! 

I did some more organizing this morning.  I finished some laundry and did some dishes.  We had an afternoon appointment with a speech therapist for Joshua, so I pumped mid morning for a bottle in case we needed one for Grace.  If it's not needed, then I can put it in the fridge for tomorrow.  I'm working a half day tomorrow and thursday to get everyone adjusted.  I don't want to leave you all, but next week I'm officially done with maternity leave and will be going back to work 20 hours a week (part time).  I pack those hours in just 2 days, so for 5 days I can be with you all!  I wanted to make sure Penny would be ok with you two by herself.  And, I wanted to make sure Grace would be ok with bottles. 

The speech therapy appointment went well.  Joshua's therapist is Kim and she is very nice.  Penny actually went with us to see what she had to say.  And, Penny asked a lot of good questions (did I ever tell you that Penny is a retired pediatric nurse?).  Kim did an initial feeding evaluation and recommends treatment once a week for 45 minutes.  Also, she gave us a sensory profile to fill out and bring back for next week.  Joshua may need occupational therapy as well (which generally works along side of speech therapy so it isn't unheard of).  Kim was wondering if Joshua has a reflux problem and will contact our pediatrician (Dr. Medero) to see if he should be on a trial medication.  I never really noticed it before, but that may be why he coughs during the day and wakes up at night.  He doesn't show the 'classic' symptoms of reflux, so I never thought he had it.  But, apparently it's common with preemies.  Also, it's common for preemies to have to go through physical, speech, and occupational therapies .... so, we're just making our way through all the therapies with Joshua.  :-)

Kim gave us the sensory profile because Joshua may have sensory perception issues which could cause food aversion since he doesn't like things near his mouth/face.  Though, he lets me brush his teeth twice a day!  ;-)  Daddy also heard that preemies have a smaller esophagus, which would make sense why Joshua has a gag reflex and chokes easily on things.  There's no treatment for that .... you just wait for it to grow and catch up!  :-)  So, we'll see what happens .... right now we have tuesday appointments with Kim and I'll see if OT will be added to that as well.  Oh, Grace, you behaved yourself and we didn't even need the bottle (it's in the fridge for tomorrow).  :-)

My back has been hurting recently.  I've had to take a motrin for the past two days.  It must be from carrying you all up and down the stairs all day!  ;-)  Ha!  I'm getting a workout!

Speaking of backs .... I backed up my computer today.  I have so many pictures on there of you two that I don't want to lose!  

Arrr!  The cat pooped in the study downstairs today .... right in the middle of the carpet no where near a litter box (which is in a completely different room!).  I was so mad!  I swear this cat is getting on my nerves.  He almost bit Joshua the other day.  The last thing I need is for you all to wander into a room with cat poop and step in it, or pick it up!  Speaking on which, Joshua, you freaked me out this morning!  We were playing in the bonus room and before I could act, you had picked up a spider!  Ew!  I tapped your little hand so you would drop it!  Then I flushed the little booger!  Gross!  You don't need to be picking up spiders!  :-P

We made pasta for dinner and Joshua ate a small amount.  It rained this evening and you two both got baths.  I gave Grace a sponge bath since I'm not sure if her belly button can get wet yet.  We go to the doctor on friday.

I video chatted with Gigi this evening.  You two were sleeping and didn't see her, but she saw you all! 

I got things ready for tomorrow to make the morning run smoothly.  I packed up my lunch and got Grace's milk ready in the fridge.  In the morning, I'll nurse Grace and then pump right before I leave.  We see patients until 1pm, so I'm hoping to be home by 2pm.  I hope the morning goes by fast so that I can see you all quickly!  I'll miss you all during those morning hours!  

Sleep tight!

I love you both!

~Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment