Monday, February 28, 2011

Two Miracles From God


Dearest Miracles from God~

"For it is by GRACE you have been saved, through faith- and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God"
Ephesians 2:8 (NIV)

Grace Elizabeth Watson
Born 10:46am
7 lbs 7 ozs
20 inches

Happy Birthday Grace Elizabeth .... you are our newest, precious gift from God!  :-)  I can't tell you how excited daddy, Joshua, and I are to have you in our lives!  Daddy and I are blessed to have you and Joshua!

Our day started out pretty early today .... the day of your birth.  I got up at 6am to take a shower.  I couldn't have anything to eat or drink since midnight, so I was pretty hungry.  :-P  Once I showered, I curled up next to Joshua, since he had noodled into our bed.  Then, daddy got ready.  Penny was here by 7:30am and we all said our 'good byes' .... I kissed you, Joshua, and said 'I Love You' several times.  I cried a little as I left you but I knew daddy, Mimi, Gigi, and Penny would take care of you over the next few days.  

Daddy and I were at the hospital by 8:20am and met Gigi there.  I checked in and they drew blood for my pre-operative work.  Then, we headed to the 4th floor .... Labor and Delivery .... to help enter Grace into the world.  Joshua, you lived on this floor of Wake Medical Hospital for 8.5 weeks!  :-P

The triage nurse immediately put me in a gown and had daddy put scrubs on.  Then, they hooked Grace up to the fetal monitors.  I was having contractions a few minutes apart, but they weren't severe enough for me to really feel them!  

Gigi had to wait in the waiting room as they took daddy and I back to triage. But, Mimi and Uncle Brennan were soon there to keep her company.

The nurse started an IV on me and then the anesthesiology team came in to talk to me about the epidural.  I was so nervous!  With Joshua, I was put under general anesthesia because my platelet count was too low.  I could have bled out spinal fluid with an epidural.  :-P 

Once they were ready for me in the operating room, they took me back for the anesthesia.  Daddy had to wait until they were ready to perform the C section to go back.  But, once I was in the OR, everything ran like clockwork .... nurses were everywhere organizing instruments .... three different 'teams' were there working together .... OB, pediatrics, anesthesiology .... you could tell this wasn't their first time!  ;-)

Then came the epidural.  They washed my back three times with something cold.  Then, they placed a paper dressing over my back to keep things sterile.  Finally came the pressure and pinch .... ouch!  I had to bend my lower back out and one of the nurses comforted me since I was nervous.  :-P  I felt a warm and tingling feeling in my toes.  It worked pretty fast and they immediately placed me on my back.  Once they checked I was good and numb, daddy was brought back.  A blue shield was placed so that daddy and I couldn't see Dr. Mckenzie perform the actual surgery.  Daddy sat near my head and held my hand.  :-)

It's a strange sensation to be 'paralyzed' from the nipple line down. I felt pressure and movements, but no sharpness or pain.  At one point, there was a quick push and pressure .... Dr. Mckenzie said, 'We're about to have a baby real soon' .... then then daddy and I heard Grace's precious cry!  You cried a lot which was joyous to hear .... you have some good, strong, healthy lungs!  Dr. McKenzie lifted you over the blue sheet for daddy and I to see .... we couldn't help cry tears of joy at seeing and hearing you for the first time, my precious Grace!  

They quickly cleaned and weighed you and daddy got to hold you for the first time!  I wished you 'Happy Birthday' and told you that 'I Love You' and got to touch your little face.  

And, just like that, Grace Elizabeth entered the world .... our second miracle and gift from God .... on February 28th, 2011 .... at 10:46am .... 7 lbs 7 ozs .... 20 inches .... 13 3/4 cm head diameter .... 40 weeks and 1 day gestation .... by Dr. McKenzie .... as healthy as can be!  :-)

As a side note, little Grace .... you were truly born a Tar Heel .... our 'Labor and Delivery' nurse's name was Jordan and today is also Dean Smith's 80th birthday!!  ;-)

Daddy continued to hold my hand as they took you to the nursery.  They did your length and ran other tests on you there.  As they continued to 'put me back together' with stitches and 12 staples, daddy was able to go into the waiting room and update Gigi, Mimi, and Uncle Brennan.  They got to see you in the nursery!  :-)

I stayed in a recovery room for about an hour before they took me to my real room in maternity.  They kept me on a liquid diet for the rest of the day, but I eventually got nauseous and couldn't keep things down.  :-P  I continued to get sick from about 2pm to 6pm.  Yuck!  

Over the course of the evening, Grandpa Jim, Uncle James, Uncle Brennan, Aunt Katie, Gigi, and Mimi all got to meet Grace.  They visited with you, kissed you, and held you!  Gigi stayed the night with me as daddy went back to stay with Joshua and help Mimi.  Joshua, you got to play with Mimi and Uncle Brennan back at the house, since daddy's soccer game was canceled (it stormed).  Daddy and Mimi played with you all night in the bonus room.  You also got a nice bath this evening .... because you apparently got yogurt in your hair at dinner!  Then, you fell asleep next to daddy as he read. 

Gigi was such a hug help!  I can't reiterate enough how much of a blessing Gigi was tonight.  She's the most caring and loving woman on the planet and I pray I can be half the mother she is!  She will always be there for you two!

I continued to have IV fluids and a catheter all night, so I was limited on my movements.  :-P  But, the nurse did have me walking (a little) this evening to help with my recovery.  :-)

Grace, you and I are still bonding with nursing.  We have the nurses help us when we can, but I think we're doing pretty well so far.  I'm hoping we can keep it up as long as possible so you can have the same 'liquid gold' that your brother had.  It's rich in nutrients, so drink up!  ;-)

I can't tell you both how blessed we are to have you both!  Daddy and I love each of you dearly!

Sleep tight you two!

I love you both very much .... forever and ever!  :-)

~Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment