Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Surgery


Dearest Joshua David~

Hello little man!  Today's the day .... you have your surgery at 8:45am this morning.  You couldn't have any solid foods after midnight, and you could only have clear liquids from midnight to 5:15am.  So, we woke you at 5am and gave you 4 ounces of white grape juice.   I tried giving you some water too, but you didn't want any. You stayed awake for a little bit afterward, but then went back to sleep. 

We left the house at 6:25am and made it to DOOK by 7:10am.  We needed to be there by 7:15am, so we were right on time.  :-)  Daddy checked us in and then you played in the stroller as we waited to be brought back into the pre-operative area.  They called us back before 8am.  

Everyone had on blue scrubs and looked like smurfs.  ;-)  Everyone thought you were cute and you smiled at all the nurses and doctors.  We saw Dr. Ross and met the anesthesiologist.  Daddy and I had to put you in a little tiger gown with just your diaper on.   We thought it funny that DOOK had you in a Clemson gown.  :-P  They gave us socks to put on you, but they were too big.  :-P  So, I took them.  ;-)  Also, you kept taking off your hair net.

You were weighed and you're now 9.1 kg!  That's just over 20 lbs!  Woo hoo!  Way to go little man!  Of course, you still had your pajamas on and a wet diaper .... but I'm going to take it! 

You're surgery ended up starting around 9am.  You wouldn't go back with the nurse by yourself, so I had to go back to the OR with you.  I had to wear a big white gown (I looked like a big marshmallow!), hair net, and mask .... and then I carried you into the OR and placed you in the table.  Daddy took the stroller and our belongings into the waiting room.  I had to hold your hands and try to calm you as they put you under.  This was really, really hard for me!  I hated to see you cry so much!  And, once you were put under, your breathing sounded different.  The nurse said I could kiss you .... so I picked up your little hand, which I was holding, and gave you a sweet kiss.  I started to cry, but the nurses were very understanding and then walked me back out into the waiting room where daddy was.  I had to call Gigi once that was over to give her the update and she calmed me over the phone that everything would be fine.  Some times you just need your mommy there, even me!  :-)

I got a little worried because stressful situations can cause women to go into labor!  Everywhere I went nurses asked me when I was due.  As soon as I said 'sunday' they would all look at me and say things like 'well, good thing you're in a hospital' or 'have a seat' or just simply 'Sunday?! Oh my!'  :-P

Daddy and I then had to play the waiting game.  We didn't get to see Dr. Ross again until 11am.  She came out and discussed the surgery with us.  It appears that you had a hernia this whole time which was causing the undescended right man berry!  Poor little man!  She corrected the hernia and then everything went into place.  :-)  Since you had a hernia, it never would have self corrected, and it likely would have gotten worse.  So, it was a good thing you had the surgery done, though it was scary for daddy and I. 

We got to see you in recovery.  I held you for about 30 minutes and rocked you as you slept and  eventually woke up.  Daddy and I gave you some juice as you woke up, and we were discharged a little after 12pm.  I sat in the backseat with you as daddy drove home.  You held my finger as you slept.  I didn't want you to let go.  :-)



Gigi and Uncle James met us back at the house by 1pm.  Daddy and I were so hungry!  They brought over some lunch for us.  Daddy filled your prescriptions for pain relievers and you continued to rest and nap on Gigi.  Gigi helped me change your diaper and put your antibiotic ointment on.  Gigi and Uncle James left around 4pm and daddy left to get a haircut.  You and I got to be alone for about 40 minutes together and rested in the bonus room.  You took a whole 8 ounces of pedialyte and started to become more active by 5pm.  :-)

By 5pm daddy was back home and Mimi was here.  She cooked dinner for us and Grandpa Mike, Uncle Brennan, and Aunt Katie came over to see you.  You gradually became more and more active as the evening went on.  You ate a few things, but you mostly drank a lot.  You never spiked a fever (the hospital told us to watch for that) and we gave you a few doses of your pain medications during the afternoon and evening.

By 8pm we were alone and daddy and I got to snuggle with you.  We told you that we love you (several times) and I felt Peanut kick a lot.   Daddy got to feel Peanut kick too!  She was telling you that she loves you too and that she's proud of you for being so brave today!  You eventually fell asleep next to us as we relaxed in the bonus room.  We all tried to be in bed early since we were exhausted.  :-P

Tomorrow I head to work again, but daddy will be here in the morning with Penny.  You know Penny is a retired pediatric nurse, right?  I don't remember if I ever told you that.  Anyway, daddy will show her your antibiotic ointment and will be here to help her for a while.  Then, he'll go into the office for a little bit.  I don't think you'll have any problems since you were so active this evening and playing around, but we still said a little prayer for you tonight.  My work offered to let me skip tomorrow, but I wanted to save that extra day for maternity leave for you and Peanut.  These are my last two days of work and then I'll be off! 

I love you so much little man and I'm so happy that your surgery went well.  It was scary for daddy and I, but at least you're healthier now.  Daddy and I love you and Peanut so much, and we'd do anything to keep you all healthy!

Sleep tight little precious!

I love you!

~Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment