Monday, February 7, 2011

Lots Of Tests


Dearest Joshua David~

Hello little fellow.  We had an interesting day today!

Mimi came here at 9am so she could watch you during Peanut's OB appointment.  You had already finished your breakfast and were watching me clean the kitchen when she walked in.  You surprised me for breakfast.  You had four tablespoons of oatmeal, some yogurt, and a full 8 ounces of formula and whole milk.  Wow!  

The day really started to pick up at the OB office.  It was a good thing Mimi was watching you at the house because I was there for 2 hours getting tests done!  My blood pressure was elevated when I walked in.  It wasn't extreme .... the systolic was 130 .... but it was high for me.  There was no protein in my urine, but the MD, Dr. Rush, wanted to run a few extra tests just to be sure because of my history with you.  We still have no dilating, but Peanut is apparently low in the pelvis, head down, and in position.  So, Dr. Rush ordered a pre-eclampsia blood panel work up and a fetal non-stress test with monitors.  Also, I'm on a 24 hour urine collection to retest my protein.  Ugh!  

They drew my blood first and ran the test 'STAT' so that the office would call me in the afternoon with the results.  If my blood work comes back normal, than I'll come back on friday for another blood pressure check.  If my blood work comes back with signs of mild pre-eclampsia starting, then they may just deliver me now that we're 37 weeks (spoiler alert .... the blood work ended up being normal, so I'm still on the 24 hour urine collection and another appointment on friday).  ;-)

Next up was the fetal monitor non-stress test.  I had this done with you at 30 weeks, and that's how they found out you were having late decelerations and in distress.  I was on the monitors for almost an hour.  They had a little television in there that I could have used, but I kept it off so I could just enjoy Peanut's kicks and listen to her heart rate.  It was fun listening to her heart rate and watching/feeling her move around.  :-)  What a blessing!  Again, I will certainly miss that feeling once she arrives, but I'm also excited at being so close in meeting her.  I'm sure you're excited to meet her too!  ;-)

There were two monitors attached to my belly.  One registered contractions and one read Peanut's heart rate.  Whenever I felt her move or kick, I pressed a Jeopardy style button to register it. (do you know about the show 'Jeopardy' by the time you read this?).  The nurse also gave me a Sprite to drink to help encourage her to move around.  I couldn't tell you the last time I had a soda!  The test results were good, so I was able to leave after that.  

I got home around 11:45am (the appointment was at 9:30am) and you and Mimi were having lunch.  You had fun this morning with Mimi playing upstairs.  Mimi did your laundry and washed some of dishes in the sink, so that was helpful too!

I quickly ate something before your physical therapy appointment.  Mimi stayed and watched you and Eliza.  You had some really good left side neck rotations and we continued to work on your standing and walking independently.  You used your walking toy and went all around the house about three times!  You also showed Eliza how you can climb the stairs, though we didn't encourage it.  ;-)  Guess what Eliza brought over .... a gift for Peanut!  She bought us two little outfits and they're so cute!  You have another appointment in two weeks, so we'll see if Peanut is here by then!

After your appointment, Mimi needed to run some errands, so she offered to take you with her so I could rest here and wait for the OB to call me back about the blood panel.  You two went to the bank and picked up some medications from the vet for her cat Lucy.  Mimi also had an MD appointment at 3pm to check her INR.  You went with her and sang in the MD office.  ;-)  Oh, her INR was good (3) so she won't have to go back for another month.

While you all were gone, Dr. Rush called me back to let me know the good news.  My blood work came back as normal with no additional signs of pre-eclampsia or HELLP!  Woo hoo!  So, I'm to continue with my 24 hour urine collection and have a follow up appointment on friday to check my blood pressure again.  Whew!  That was a relief .... I thought things would come back as normal, but I hated waiting and it made me nervous.  I took my own blood pressure as I was waiting it had gone down to 117/70.  :-)

Once Mimi came back, you and I played in the bonus room until daddy got home.  Then, we went downstairs and I fed you as daddy made a steak dinner.  Again, you surprised me with dinner .... you ate half a container of beef and veggies, 1.5 containers of yogurt, and 5 ounces of formula in a sippy cup!  Good job little man!

I gave you a nice bath after dinner.  Then, after I took a quick shower, we all relaxed in the bonus room as you played.  You sang with us and said your new favorite work over and over .... 'buddy' .... it's so cute!  :-)

Tomorrow we have a MOPS meeting, but I emailed my small group leader and we're going to lay low tomorrow to relax all day.  I'll be on my feet all day wednesday and thursday with work, so I'm going to take advantage of tomorrow and relax as much as possible!  We'll have to venture out around lunch to drop off the urine collection, but other than that, we're going to stay here and rest.  :-)

Sleep tight my little Joshua!

I love you so much!  :-)

~Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment