Monday, February 21, 2011

On The Phone All Day


Dearest Joshua David~

Hello little precious!  Well, I feel like I have been on the phone all day!  :-P

First, I had an OB appointment with Peanut at 9:30am.  So, after we got up and ate breakfast together, Mimi came over to watch you.  I headed over to the MD office and saw Dr. Rush.  I had the 'normal' swelling and higher blood pressure associated with being 39 weeks and 1 day gestation.  My weight was 155.2 (yikes!).  ;-)  Peanut's heart rate was good (142).  She checked on our dilating situation and my cervix is still 'high and closed'.  She offered to remove the cells around the membrane at the top of the cervix.  When this is done, women generally go into labor within 24-48 hours.  However, you have a surgery tomorrow at DOOK, so I didn't want to go into labor with you in a different hospital!  Plus, daddy won't be able to be there for the birth of Peanut!  So, I didn't have Dr. Rush do the procedure today.  

So, here's what we have planned now (this is after several phone calls between the OB and the surgical nurses at Wake Medical Hospital .... where our delivery will take place):  

Friday Feb 25th:  I have an appointment at 8:45am with the OB.  Dr. Mckenzie will separate the cells at the top of the cervix to see if we'll go into spontaneous labor 24-48 hours afterward.   If so, we can attempt a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) over the weekend. This does not mean that we'll 'avoid' having a C-section.  We could go into labor and end up needing a C-section anyway based on different circumstances (dilating, position of baby, etc). If we don't go into labor over the weekend, then we have an appointment on monday scheduled ....

Monday Feb 28th:  I'll be 40 weeks and 1 day gestation!  I have a 'planned C-section' scheduled at Wake Med for 10:30am.  I would need to be there at 8:30am and would see Dr. Mckenzie for a RLTCS (repeat low transverse C-section) if we do not go into labor over the weekend.

Of course, we could always go into labor before friday.   :-P   If we're able to do a successful VBAC, then I would have an easier recovery then having a C-section (major surgery).  However, there are risks involved either way, so we just need to see what's best for Peanut and myself.  Keep praying little man that everything runs smoothly!  I have to admit, now that we're in our last week, I'm getting more apprehensive .... but I know you and daddy will be there for Peanut and myself.  :-)

DOOK also called me so daddy and I have all the information for your appointment for tomorrow.  Your surgery is scheduled for 8:45am.  We need to be at the hospital at 7:15am.  You can eat and drink normally until midnight tonight.  Starting at midnight, you can only have clear liquids until 5:15am.  After 5:15am, you can't have anything to eat or drink.  :-P  Ugh!  I don't know how well that will work out.  Daddy and I may have to wake you up in the middle of the night to get some fluids in you.  I have a feeling that we're all going to be very tired tomorrow!  

Anyway, when I got home from the OB appointment, you and Mimi were playing in the bonus room.  I went to do a load of laundry and .... the next thing I know, the two of you are asleep on the couch again!  :-P  So, I did chores around the house while the two of you slept!  

Mimi stayed until around 2:40pm, and then Eliza came at 3:30pm (she had to change our normal appointment time).  You had some nice neck rotations and then we worked on standing and walking.  You took a few steps again by yourself and stood for a few seconds when distracted by toys.  You got really fussy at the end of the appointment and rubbed your eyes.  Eliza left around 4:30pm and I took you upstairs thinking you were tired and wanted a nap.  Nope, you kept playing until daddy got home around 5:30pm.  Little man, you and I had less than 2 hours together all day! 

We were both very happy to see daddy though!  I told him about all our impending appointments while we made dinner.  We started to put things aside and prepare for tomorrow morning.  We've been trying to keep you hydrated all day to prepare for tomorrow, and you drank 5 ounces of formula and 11 ounces of whole milk at dinner and through the evening!  Whoa!  ;-)

We gave you a nice bath this evening.  Once you have your surgery, you won't be able to have a bath for a few days. 

The three of us relaxed in the bonus room this evening .... well, we 'relaxed' as much as possible .... I'm still worried about your surgery, just because they have to put you under general anesthesia .... so I know I won't sleep well tonight.  But, daddy and I have been praying about it and we know it's in God's hands.

Get some sleep tonight little miracle!  Daddy and I will be there with you all day!  We love you so much!!

~Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment