Monday, April 25, 2011

Stressful Evening


Dearest Joshua David and Grace Elizabeth~

Well, you didn't make it in your crib as long as sunday, Joshua.  You made it to about 1am or 2am.  Then, you noodled into our bed.  Grace, you slept pretty well though.  I nursed you about 3 hours after at 5am.  

We had fun together today.  It was another hot day, so we had the air on.  The play room gets hotter than the other rooms since it's over the garage, so we also had the ceiling fan on, which Joshua likes to point at.  He walked all around the play room, but almost tugged the strings right off the acoustic guitar!  Perhaps we need to put these instruments back in their cases?  :-P

Our neighbor's dog, Buddha, was out today.  He barked at Joshua and me as we checked the mail.  ;-P  Oh, almost forgot .... Joshua, you had a pretty good breakfast this morning.  You ate a lot of oatmeal  (almost 5 tablespoons) and then took a sippy cup.  At 11am, I took you back downstairs for a boost.  You almost drank the whole thing!  I was surprised!  I was anticipating you drinking it over the course of the day, but you took it down little man!  Unfortunately, that means you didn't eat that much for lunch.  You ate come chicken and some crackers, but then didn't want any more. 

Grace fell asleep during one of her tummy time exercises.  I let her sleep and just watched her to make sure she was ok.  It's ok for little babies to nap on their bellies, but for bedtime they need to be on their backs to help prevent SIDS.  This has changed from a generation ago.  When I was a baby, I was placed on my belly.  :-P

I rocked and sang with Joshua as Grace napped.  Once she woke up, I nursed her and Joshua went down for a nap.  As I was nursing Grace, she eventually fell asleep too.  I continued to hold her and read while the two of you all slept.  Then, I closed my eyes for a little since I was tired from all the people waking up early this morning.  ;-)

Mimi and Grandpa Mike are back in town after a trip to Arizona.  The wanted to come and see you all and were here around 5pm.  You all were just barely getting up from naps and I was in the middle of changing Joshua's diaper when the doorbell rang.  Grace, you were in the crib and getting hungry.  I was just about finished changing Joshua when they then knocked on the door.  I was rushing to answer (we weren't expecting company until at least 6pm) and Joshua went off to play downstairs with Mimi and Grandpa Mike.  I went back upstairs to change Grace's diaper and then to nurse her.  

Daddy got home a little after 6pm.  Mimi and Joshua had gone through his Easter basket and were eating animal crackers.  Grace was then getting fussy.  Daddy was hungry, I was hungry, and Joshua was getting hungry.  :-P  Since there was no plan (and about 6:30pm at this point), we placed Joshua in his highchair and started to feed him dinner.  He ate some chicken and a little of the potato casserole.  Then, he drank a sippy cup.  By this time, Grace had calmed down, but I knew we wouldn't make it through a dinner without having to feed her.  But, following orders, we packed you two up and took you out for dinner.  :-P  

It was getting late and Grace started to stir at 7:20pm.  She started crying and then had a poopy diaper.  Restaurants (I have come to learn) do not always have changing tables .... I couldn't tell you how many times I've changed Joshua in the back on my car!  So, there Grace went for a diaper change.  I ended up nursing her in the car (we're getting better at this little lady) at 7:40pm (the food still had not come to our table).  

Nursing Grace in the car was the first quiet time we had for a few hours, so I actually didn't mind it.  However, I did mind being out late with you two and getting you all off your evening schedules and missing dinner.  At this time, you two should have already been in your pajamas!  Ugh!  I ended up 'inhaling' my dinner in the kitchen around 8:30pm and finally being able to take a shower at 9pm.  

By 9:30pm, I was back nursing Grace and daddy was reading to Joshua in bed.  He fell asleep after 10pm.  Most toddlers go to bed about 2 hours prior to that, so we need to find a better night time routine and stick to it.  And, we honestly need to stop taking you all out late at night too.  That just adds to the confusion.  For example, we were suppose to try to give Grace a bottle this evening, and obviously, that did not happen. 

Needless to say, this evening was pretty stressful.  I had a headache by 10pm and daddy and I were both exhausted.  Hopefully tomorrow will go a little smoother.  

Sleep tight little ones!

I love you both!  :-)

~Mommy