Thursday, February 2, 2012

Daddy And Groundhog Day


Dearest Angels~

Happy Daddy Day and Groundhog Day.  Just so you know .... the groundhog did see his shadow, so I guess we'll be having another 6 weeks of winter! 

Grace, you were nursing at 5:15am this morning.  I was still very congested and had a sore throat, but I went into work knowing that you two would be in good hands with daddy.  Grace, you left eye lid is still red so we'll have to see if it starts to clear up or if you need to see the pediatrician.

I asked daddy to write down a few things from the day and he decided to write you two a sweet letter.  Here it is ....   :-)


"I always cherish my ‘daddy days’ with you kids, since I get so few opportunities to actually stay at home during the week with you all.  Unfortunately, this week has been a “perfect storm” at work.  So, I tried to wake up before you all this morning to get a few projects done for work in hopes that we could just play together the rest of the day.  Lesson learned that I should never turn on my work computer with the expectation that I can quickly get a few things done, as I had about a half dozen pending notices of meetings with senior executives that needed immediate attention.

Grace played while I started working on charts for management and by 7:30am Joshua was awake (you were the last one up little man – I could hear you coughing upstairs; poor little guy!).  After changing everyone’s diapers and getting people fed, I was back on my computer trying to meet a 9am deadline.  You two just played downstairs while I looked on and were perfect little angels!  As soon as I got my charts sent off, I locked my computer and we all headed upstairs for some playtime.  I knew I still had plenty of work ahead, but decided it could wait until after lunch.

This morning, your Grandpa Mike was in the hospital having lithotripsy to break up a kidney stone.  Everything went well and Mimi called to update us around 10:30am.  Since Grandpa Mike was fine and resting comfortably at home, she volunteered to come over and play with you all since I had more work deadlines looming this afternoon (ugh).  In the meantime, Grace took a nap on Joshua’s pillow in the playroom while Joshua and I watched a couple of Scooby-Doo episodes.  Josh, I’m glad someone else in the house likes Scooby-Doo and will watch it with me!

By 11:30am, we were all back downstairs for lunch.  I had some leftover casserole mommy made the other day (your mommy is quite the cook!), 

 Note from Mommy .... yes, I am quite the cook!  ;-)

but neither of you were very cooperative with your eating today.  Joshua, you had some goldfish and cereal, but that was all – you even refused cookie (you must really be sick!).  Grace kept batting away the spoon when I tried to give her solid food, but she took 4 ounces of mommy milk and almost an entire container of crunchies. 

Mimi arrived while I was feeding Grace and she was also unsuccessful with the spoon feeding.  I was back at work on my computer, but sat at the kitchen table so that I could at least watch you all play.  Grace, you were so funny!  Mimi tried to distract you so you would eat your food by shaking her head back and forth and making faces – you would mirror her perfectly and just giggle.  Not to be outdone, Joshua you stood right beside them and mirrored along too – adding your own silly faces and cracking everyone up.  Josh, you are such a ham!  You are always making us laugh and it is a true blessing!

After lunch, Mimi put you all in some fresh clothes (we were all still in our PJ’s) and you went outside on the porch to play.  Even though it is early February, the sun was out and the high today was in the 60’s.  I checked on you all periodically and was jealous of all the fun you were having – you played in your sandbox, took a little walk around the cul-de-sac, checked the mail, and even visited with the UPS man who brought mommy a package today (what did she order now?). 

 Note from Mommy .... I ordered a camera flash.  ;-)

I did manage to get outside for a few minutes with you all – Grace, you were on the swing with Mimi looking very tired and, Josh, you had a mischievous look on your face as you hit a bush with a stick.

By 3pm, everyone was back inside with fresh diapers.  Joshua, you fell asleep on your pillow (all that bush hitting wore you out I guess).  Grace, you decided to nap on Mimi.  Once everyone was content, I went back downstairs and finished up my charts – managed to get everything in by the deadline (whew)!  About the time I hit ‘send’ on my final chart, I heard Grace crying upstairs – why do you wake up so grumpy?  A little more mommy milk and a bunch of crunchies settled you down!

Mimi headed home to check on Grandpa Mike and take him a milkshake for dinner (now I see where you get it from Joshua!), while I played with you two until mommy got home.  Mommy picked up a sandwich on the way home for our dinner – even good cooks need a night off when they are sick!

Note from Mommy .... it is nice to have a night off.  :-)

I’m sorry I couldn’t really enjoy my daddy day with you two and promise I won’t make a habit of putting work before family.  It was nice though when the stress of the day felt overwhelming that I could look up and see you all playing together so nicely – you two truly are blessings and I love you both so, so much!"

This evening we all played together in the bonus room until bed time.  I'm happy this 'work week' is almost over so that we can just relax and try to get better over the next few days.  I'm so happy you all had fun with daddy today!

Sleep tight you two!

I love you both so much!

~Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment