Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Chubby Cheeks

Dearest Joshua David~

Well, we have a lot to discuss little precious!

Last night, daddy and I came back to see you for your 9pm feeding. We had a lactation nurse help with getting you to suck and swallow more. She used a "supplemental nursing system" (SNS) to help you take in more milk. She put 10ml of milk in the container and let it run through a tube going out the nipple shield. With help, you took it all through your mouth, plus extra milk through the shield from me! It took you a little while, but you got it all in. So, you only had to take 24ml of milk through your nose feeding tube. You also swallowed a lot of air, so you gave a few good burps! You get tired during the feeding, so the nurse said you didn't have enough stamina to try two feedings in a row. After, I got to take your temperature, changed you, and held you for about an hour. :-) Oh, and you weigh 3 lbs 13.8 ozs!

Today, I came back for your 3pm feeding. We had a different lactation nurse to help us and we weighed you before and after the feeding. We didn't use the SNS, only the shield. With the nurse's help, you gained 20 grams during the feeding! Wow! Because of that, they took out 20ml from your syringe, and you only had 14ml go through your nose feeding tube!

When I got there, mimi was already holding you .... and before I left, gigi was holding you! Your grandmothers sure love you! :-)

I changed your diaper and outfit before I left. You had a nice poopy diaper and proceeded to poop while I was changing you. Then, you decided that wasn't enough and wanted to pee everywhere as well. Thanks! :-P



Daddy came back with me for your 9pm feeding tonight. We had a nurse help us again and you did well. I can tell you're filling out and even have the beginnings of little chubby cheeks!

Daddy got to kangaroo care you (hold you skin-to-skin) and he burped you during the feeding. You were all cozy sleeping on him. :-)

I can't wait to see and hold you again little miracle!

I love you so much! :-)

~Mommy

1 comment:

  1. David, Crystal and Joshua,
    I have been following you, since my son, Frank Tortora, sent me your link. I am so happy to see how much Joshua is growing every day.I continue to pray for all of you and hope that Joshua gets to go home with you soon!

    Take care and grow strong!

    Judy Ramquist

    ReplyDelete