Monday, December 7, 2009

Big Changes

Dearest Joshua David~

There have been some big changes since I saw you last night. First off, you no longer have a feeding tube!! You've officially been on breast or bottle (without the need for assistance from the feeding tube) for the past 24 hours, so the tube was able to be removed! After an additional 48 hours of monitoring to make sure you do not need the tube, you are technically able to go home! I couldn't believe it! As of right now, you are "scheduled" to come home with me on thursday, December 10th, if all goes well. It may end up being on friday, but I'm hopeful it will be thursday .... one day after my birthday little sweetie! What a wonderful birthday gift that would be!

Speaking of birthdays .... today is mommy's uncle's birthday .... your "Great" Uncle David (gigi's brother). :-)

Daddy and I took a CPR class at the hospital today in preparation to take you home. God willing we will never have to do CPR, but I'm thankful the hospital provides that service.

I was able to give you a full bottle feeding for your 4pm meal, and daddy gave you the 8pm bottle. This evening you also had your bath and you were weighed. You now weigh 4 lbs 14.9 ozs! You're almost 5 pounds! Good job Joshua! :-)

The nurse told us to bring in your car seat this evening. We brought it to the hospital so you can have your car seat test. They need to make sure you can maintain your vitals at a 45 degree angle for at least one hour. The nurse will either test you tonight or tomorrow evening. I pray that goes well.

This evening was hard for mommy. When daddy and I came for your evening 8pm feeding, the eye doctor was there again to do his follow up exam. He had to dilate your eyes and you screamed a lot during the exam. I had to go to a different room because your little scream was hard for me to hear. :-( The doctor said that you have a mild case of "retinopathy of prematurity" that is common in preemies like you. Basically, your blood vessels are a little disorganized. But, the good news is that it is mild and only appears to be in a small section of the left eye. Also, the doctor said that you can see with both eyes and both retinas were attached. It's just a matter of correcting how the blood vessels are forming. The doctor said he would correct the problem with a quick procedure (about 30 minutes) tomorrow evening. After that, he will check you again in about a week. I will bring you back in next week for your follow up appointment. The correction procedure is minor surgery, so I promise to come and be there right after to hold and rock you, sweet thing! I don't like the thought of you needing a procedure, but daddy reminded me that we've been very blessed during this time. And, this is very small in comparison to other medical issues that other preemies need that you haven't needed. I'll say a little prayer for you, and I know everything will go well since God has looked after us so far. And, again, I'll be there to hold you right after! I'm been with you at the hospital everyday since the day you were born! :-)

You also had an assessment from the "child development" team. They checked your reflexes, strength, how you followed faces and voices, and how you responded to different stimuli like lights and sound. You passed all those tests, and the nurse liked how you always followed my face and voice! You know your mommy! :-)

Oh, other news. You no longer need any additional fortifier in your milk since you are gaining weight well. You're now on straight breast milk. :-) The pediatrician will keep monitoring your weight gain, and you may need fortifier at some point in the future, but for now you're fine without it.

You are so handsome without that feeding tube. I'm counting down the days until you are home with me!

I love you so much sweet baby!

~Mommy

1 comment:

  1. Crystal,
    I'm so glad that things are going smoothly. You have been in my thoughts and prayers. I would love to see you over the holidays when I'm home if you are up for visitors! He's handsome!! :)

    Much Love,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete