Sunday, October 25, 2009

Rewinding the Story


Dearest Joshua David~

I still haven’t told you how we all got here …. you in the Intensive Care Nursery (ICN) and daddy and I visiting you everyday. It all started on your birthday ….

Someone once told me that if you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans for the day! Things always happen for a reason and under God’s timing. If someone had told me the morning of October 16th, 2009 that I would be a mother by lunch time, I would have laughed at them.

Mommy had a normal OB check up at 8am on the 16th. Up until then, all appointments had been uneventful. I always had normal vitals and blood work. Your heart beat was always good. Never any real reason for concern. A few days prior to the appointment, I had not felt well, but it appeared to be normal “pregnancy symptoms” like nausea, heart burn, fatigue, and swelling for example. When daddy and I went to the appointment, the nurses noticed that my protein level had really spiked and my blood pressure was unusually high. I saw Dr. Rush that morning and she ordered for some blood to be drawn. Once that was done, they took my vitals again …. blood pressure still high …. and then put me on a fetal monitor so we could see how your heart rate was. Dr. Rush mentioned that with these levels, I would either need to go on bed rest or have to deliver early (of course, I thought she meant a month early or something planned).

After having the monitor on me for about 25 minutes, Dr. Rush came back in with some really scary news for daddy and I. Every time I felt you move, you were having a late deceleration in your heart rate. My blood work showed a marked decrease in platelet count and I was suffering from HELLP Syndrome and pre-eclampsia. It came on suddenly, but the only course of action was to deliver early to save both you and me from getting any sicker. They gave me a shot to help you breathe, and then I was sent via ambulance to Wake Med Hospital where Dr. Bass, the on call OB from my office, saw me.

The numbers were amazing. They drew blood again at the hospital and took an ultrasound. My blood pressure kept elevating (though I’m sure the whole shock and stress of the morning didn’t help!) and my platelet count did not go up much. My count was 77,000 at the OB office and 83,000 at the hospital. An epidural can not be given if your platelet count is under 100,000, so I had to have general anesthesia. Which means, only the doctors and nurses could be in the room. Daddy could not be there.

You were only 30 weeks gestation and we didn’t even have a name for you! We knew David would be your middle name, since it is your daddy’s name. We had been thinking of a few names, but never decided on one. I have always liked the story of Joshua in the Bible. He was strong, courageous, and had a strong faith in God. As I was being wheeled away for surgery, daddy asked me what name was on my heart, and I just stated “Joshua!” Mommy and daddy did a pinky shake and then I was taken away to an operating room.

While in the OR, I could hear the doctors and nurses talking, but I couldn't see anything since they put a blue sheet over my chest as a divider.  There were two anesthesiologists there (male and female) and the female talked to me to keep me calm.  She asked if I knew what I have having.  I said a boy.  She then asked what your name was .... I said, "Joshua" with a smile .... then the male started to cover my nose and said, "Good night!"

So, an emergency C-section and 16 staples later …. you were born on October 16th, 2009 …. 2lbs 4ozs …. 14 inches …. at Wake Med Hospital …. at 1:11pm …. by Dr. Brian Bass. I had to receive IV fluids and magnesium sulfate in an intensive care recovery room for 24 hours. Daddy got to see you on your birthday. I was not able to see you until the evening of the 17th …. it was love at first sight! I got to hold you, my son, on the 19th for the very first time! :-) 

They released me from the hospital on the 20th and we’ve been to visit you everyday since then. It was hard for mommy to leave and not be within walking distance to you, but we’re blessed to not live far from the hospital. So, on the 21st, I started to write you these letters to let you know what was going on. And to let you know mommy and daddy are always there for you. You will stay in the ICN until December. Christmas Day will be 40 weeks gestation, but the doctors always re-evaluate babies at 37 weeks. So, you may even be home close to mommy’s birthday! :-)

We are blessed to have such wonderful family and friends to help us and to pray for you.

I love you so much my little Joshua!

~Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment